Friday, November 11, 2016

Hate Speech & The 2016 Election

How long has it been since 50 Shades of Agent Orange was given the presidency via a rigged electoral college? Your calendar might say 2 days, but for millions of minorities it already feels like 2 years. First Amendment attacks against people of color, homosexuals, Muslims, and liberals have surged both online and offline. White, heterosexual conservatives have grown undeniably emboldened by the victory of an unapologetic racist.

In the last 2 days alone I, personally, have been told:

  1. "Go back to Africa!" (I would if I was from there.)
  2. "Your free ride is over!" (I've paid millions of dollars in taxes.)
  3. "Go pop out more kids I have to pay for!" (I had a partial hysterectomy 6 years ago.)
  4. "He's your president whether you like it or not!" (He's #NotMyPresident)
  5. "Liberal crybaby!" (Ummm... there's only one person whining here and it's not me.)

And that's but 5 examples from a list I've justifiably named Plethora. How am I handling it? Not well, to be honest. And I'm a 44-year-old woman. I'm not sure how children and teens with less developed coping skills and limited life perspective are supposed to effectively combat this sickening trend, but I'm certain the answer is they can't. Furthermore, they shouldn't have to.

Calling it "Freedom of Expression" doesn't mean it is...


There have been innumerable instances in the last 2 days wherein white perpetrators have victimized black youth with hitherto unspeakable actions. Whether by wearing black face or posting horrifically insensitive, mean-spirited jabs, white racists keep clinging to the "this is a free country" line. For people obsessed with free rides, they sure don't seem to understand nothing in life is ever free.

The First Amendment does not give Americans a carte blanche right to say and express every hateful thing that comes to their warped minds. There are categories of speech that are not protected and fighting words is one of them. I encourage parents to use every legal means necessary to sue these people at minimum. An absence of justice causes an absence of hope. Where there is no hope, there is violence toward self or others. 

Protect our children.